Our brain is an organ which is required by us in every moment of life. It is what forms the intelligence which is the thing that set us aside from the rest living species found on the planet. Some people call the heart as the most important organ, but the heart’s functioning is based on the medulla oblangata, which is a part of the brain. It is the center of all activities of the body. Even all the senses work in coordination with brain as we want to see, touch, hear, smell, and taste what our brain wants to do. Like for an example if you like pasta and if you have some pasta around you would tend to eat it. Another function of the brain is thinking, we all the time tend to think something which is a bunch of thoughts ranging from lots of different things. Thinking is one of the most important parts of the mighty brain. Due to thinking all the inventions and discoveries have been made possible as they all were certain ideas that emerged as a result of a particular topic. Thinking is the quality that distinguishes us from life all over the planet earth. The other function of brain range from self-control, planning, reasoning, etc.
Psychology is the science of mind and behavior. It includes study of conscious and unconscious phenomena with feeling and thought. A practitioner of psychology, a psychologist and can be classified as a social, behavioral, or cognitive scientist. They explore processes such as perception, cognition, attention, intelligence, subjective experience, motivation and personality. A psychologist also looks at the interaction between people. Psychologist often accesses the treatment of mental health problems. It is also directed towards understanding and solving problems in several spheres of human activity. Psychologist do varied roles ranging from clinical and counseling psychologist to doing scientific research.
Due to the growth of modern psychology in recent times, It has enabled us to know our brain and understand how it functions. Still the voyage has just begun with much more still to be unraveled with more developments happening around. With so many inventions taking place now, and then we know we are still far away from when we will be able to claim that we know how our brain functions.
Our Brain is 2% of body mass, but uses 20% of the energy generated by the body. It is composed of three main parts Cerebrum, Cerebellum, and Brainstem.
The Cerebrum is the largest part of the brain. It is composed of cerebral cortex, gray matter, cortical layers of neurons. Each hemisphere is divided into four main lobes — the frontal lobe, parietal lobe, temporal lobe, and occipital lobe. It also consists of central lobe, a limbic lobe, and an insular lobe. It is responsible for sensory perception, memory, thoughts, hearing, vision, controlling emotions, comprehension, memory, perception, and much more.
The Brainstem includes the midbrain, the Pons, and the medulla oblangata. It continues below as the spinal cord, protected by the vertebral column. It is a vital part of the brain responsible for regulation of many essential processes such as breathing, control of eye movements and balance. Also, many nerve facts, which transmit information to and from the cerebral cortex to the rest of the body, pass through the brainstem.
The Cerebellum is the part of the brain located beneath the Cerebrum and is connected to the superior cerebellar peduncles. The cerebellum consists of an inner medulla of white matter and an outer cortex of richly folded grey matter. It is responsible for the muscle coordination and body balance of the body.
- About 75 percent of the brain is made up of water.
- The brain of a human contains approximately one hundred billion neurons.
- Cholesterol is key to learning and memory.
- The human brain will grow three times its size in the first year of life. It continues to grow until you’re about 18 years old.
- Headaches are caused by a chemical reaction in your brain combined with the muscles and nerves of your neck and head.
- The brain can’t feel pain. It interprets pain signals sent to it, but it does not feel pain.
- Information runs between neurons in your brain for everything we see, think, or do. The fastest speed for information to pass between neurons is about 250 mph.
- Dreams are believed to be a combination of imagination, psychological factors, and neurological factors.
- Despite your physical age, Mental age of every individual is different. It depends on your thinking and hence every individual gets ranked differently.
- It is true that video games helps in building cognitive abilities. They can be better developed using simple mental exercises and meditation.
- It is said that more number of turns the brain has the more is your intelligence.
- The brain is found to communicate through different frequency waves which are found to be originating from the brain. There are three of these waves namely: alpha, beta, and gamma depending on the functions that are being performed.
Importance of Brain
If you are mentally fit you are capable of fighting any disorder or any disease. How you think your body performs that way. Scientists have found that depression which is a mental disorder may be responsible for lots of diseases. It may also lead to shortening of life. It is true that a fit mind leads to a fit body. The brain is the control center of the body, and it controls the most vital functions from the heart beat to hormonal control. It stores all memory, and it is vital in the processing of data. The development of Mankind has only been possible due to brain. It is the force behind every development and inventions done by mankind. It is what makes us human.
Let’s end with something interesting there have been numerous theories about our brain connection with other objects and brain. There are people and even machines are being made who can read the mind by getting the correct frequency and connecting it with the brain. There are things like you sometimes see the future through the brain. It has been recorded that we think something which we experience in the future this is called the déjà vu effect. There may be lots of reasons for déjà vu which may be simple to complex. Socrates has said, ‘ Your brain has every knowledge within it. The knowledge just needs to be revised’. There are some people who agree with Socrates. There are other things that people have reported that they have experienced dimensional changes. There are endless amounts of things that still to be found about the brain. Like the similarities between Universe and brain in terms of structure. Since one thing we all can believe is that the brain is the center of knowledge.
Here are certain videos